Friday, September 21, 2007

learning styles

We had an interesting discussion in my tutoring class last Friday where we talked about learning styles: what works, what doesn't.

For instance, the least successful teaching style is considered lecturing. However, for me - lecture works very well, as long as I am writing while listening - utilizing two different actions seems, for me, to allow for more retention.

But when it comes to something technical... signing up for a blog, working in WORD, using photo editing programs or scanning programs - the best way for me to learn is in a hands-on approach. If I HAVE to learn it without hands-on - I think that step-by-step visuals work well. When I am trying to explain a computer process to someone else via email, I tend to use ctrl-print screen a lot
because it's easier for them to get the concept when they have the visual in front of them.

No comments: